The Climate Center is working with powerful coalitions of advocates to demand accelerated, equitable climate policies. California, as the world’s fifth-largest economy, must step up its climate leadership to catalyze action by other states, nations, and the world for a climate-safe Earth. Below is a list of recent Letters of Support or Opposition we have sent to policymakers, along with our partners, to enact the policies we need to achieve net-negative emissions and resilient communities by 2030.
- Letter to California’s Secretary for Natural Resources re. Climate Smart Strategy using Blue Carbon/Coastal Habitats, November 23, 2021
- Letter to Governor Newsom urging bold state agency climate action, October 13, 2021
- Recommendations to the California Natural Resources Agency on their 30X30 Pathways plan, October 11, 2021
- Petition to US Army Corps of Engineers to halt the approval of fossil fuel infrastructure permits, October 6, 2021
- Letter to Governor Newsom urging climate leadership at COP26, September 21, 2021
- Letter to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors urging a phaseout of oil drilling and more, September 14, 2021
- Letter to Governor Newsom urging his signature on SB 27 for carbon removal targets with natural climate solutions, September 10, 2021
- Letter to Deputy Secretary Norris with recommendations for advancing equity and justice, September 9, 2021
- Letter to Assemblymember Muratsuchi in support of AB 1395 for net negative emissions – with amendments, August 23, 2025
- Letter to California lawmakers recommending Climate Resilience Budget Funding Allocations, August 20, 2021
- Letter to Liane Randolph, Chair of the California Air Resources Board urging inclusion of natural and working lands (NWL) in the CARB Scoping Plan Update, July 9, 2021
- Letter to the California Air Resources Board calling on them to include in their Scoping Plan update modeling of emissions reduction pathways that achieve net negative emissions by 2030, July 9, 2021
- Letter to Senator Ben Allen in support of AB 284 for a Natural and Working Lands Climate Change Goal, June 21, 2021
- Letter to Governor Newsom asking him to require CalGEM to instate a 2,500-foot setback between fossil fuel operations and all sensitive sites, June 21, 2021
- Letter to Speaker Rendon, Pro Tem Atkins, Assemblymember Ting, Assemblymember Bloom, Senator Skinner, and Senator Wieckowski to prioritize funding for Community Resilience Hubs in 2021-22 State Budget, June 7, 2021
- $1B Funding Request for Speaker Rendon, Pro Tem Atkins, Assemblymember Ting, Assemblymember Bloom, Senator Skinner, and Senator Wieckowski for Community Resilience Hubs Package, May 26, 2021
- Recommendations to Pro-Tem Atkins, Speaker Rendon, Senator Skinner and Assemblymember Ting for May Revise Budget, Climate Resilience Package, May 26, 2021
- Recommendations to Senator Toni Atkins for an Equitable Climate Budget, May 26, 2021
- Recommendations to Governor Newsom, President Pro-Tem Atkins, Speaker Rendon, Senator Skinner and Assemblymember Ting for the FY 21-22 May Revised Budget, May 24, 2021
- Congress Should Enact a Federal Renewable Electricity Standard and Reject Gas and False Solutions May 12, 2021
- Letter to Deputy Secretary for Biodiversity and Habitat with recommendations for 30 x 20 Strategy, May 10, 2021
- Comments to Senate Transportation Committee & Senate Budget Sub-Committee on securing an Equitable Clean Transportation Future, April 9, 2021
- Comments to CARB on small off-road engines rulemaking, April 9, 2021
- Letter of support for AB 1365 (Bonta), April 8, 2021. Add concrete to state’s Buy Clean program.
- Letter of support for SB 582 (Stern), April 5, 2021. Establish first net negative emissions target in state law.
- Letter of support for SB 596 (Becker), April 5, 2021. Accelerate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goals.
- Letter in support of AB 525 (Chiu) March 24, 2021. Offshore windpower planning.
- Letter in support of SB 612 (Portantino) March 24, 2021. Resolving above market cost legacy electricity procurements.
- Letter in support of SB 617 (Wiener) March 24, 2021. Solar permit online streamlining.
- Letter in support with amendments of AB 284 (R. Rivas), March 18, 2021, to identify a 2045 climate goal, with interim milestones, for the state’s natural and working lands to sequester carbon, reduce atmospheric greenhouse gas emissions, and provide other climate benefits.
- Letter in support with amendments of SB 27 (Skinner), March 8, 2021, to establish state goals for carbon sequestration on natural and working lands, and for the state to partner with private entities to identify and fund California-based carbon sequestration projects on natural and working lands.
- Letter of Support for Clean Energy and Sustainability Accelerator, January 21, 2021
- Letter of Support for Electric Vehicle infrastructure in nonresidential new construction, January 14, 2021
- Letter in opposition to AB 1139 to Members of the California State Legislature, May 26, 2021
- SB 84 (Hurtado) February 19, 2021. Opposition letter to SB 84 that we signed onto with other organizations HERE.
Click here to see current climate legislation we are tracking.
Click here for past position letters.