Click on images above to go to sections. Download a pdf of the report here (5 MB).
New solar and wind energy projects initiated by Sonoma Clean Power, 2016
Number of solar customers receiving support from Clean Energy Advocate program
Amount Sonoma Clean Power paid customers for their excess solar energy
Reinventing energy with renewables, storage & more
Together, we stand at the front lines of an energy revolution. This revolution can, if accelerated, reduce greenhouse gas emissions at the speed and scale needed to curb the devastating impacts of climate change, while laying the foundation of a new and sustainable economy.
Through the innovation, determination, and support of partner organizations, businesses, and individuals like you, we celebrate progress:
- We are helping to spread Community Choice Energy across California to deliver cleaner more democratized energy.
- Our solar energy program, “Solar Sonoma County,” continues a 15-year history of solar advocacy and education:
- Clean Energy Advocate: We work with homeowners and businesses to help them navigate the complexities of installing solar systems.
- Qualified Vendors: We vet the solar installers in Sonoma County to ensure top quality and service.
- Advocacy: We partner with local installers and advocates to advance solar-friendly policies, i.e. Net Energy Metering and the Federal Solar Investment Tax Credit.
- Clean energy resources like solar are becoming cheaper and more prolific.
- Battery storage technologies are developing far faster than predicted and costs are plummeting.
Go solar. We are your unbiased, nonprofit partner to simplify the process. Call us at 707-654-4350 for three free quotes from pre-qualified solar installers.
Californians who now have a choice in electricity providers
Ratepayers in the Central Valley who believe it is important to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
Customer savings resulting from Sonoma Clean Power
Community Choice Energy is a game-changing energy solution with far-reaching climate protecting impacts. This 21st century energy model democratizes the energy system by reducing our dependence upon centralized, fossil fuel-based power systems. Through localization and ownership of distributed energy resources, Community Choice agencies can optimize emerging clean energy technologies better than the big utilities.
Today: Centralized, linear, fossil and nuclear-based energy system
Our future: Distributed, intelligent, renewably-powered energy system
The Climate Center spent its formative years mobilizing political will and momentum to launch Sonoma Clean Power, the state’s second Community Choice program. We are now working in San Jose, several communities in the San Joaquin Valley, and broadly statewide to help establish Community Choice programs.
- Surveyed hundreds of ratepayers in the San Joaquin Valley about about their views on energy. Overwhelmingly, the Valley is interested in more renewable energy, localizing energy, reducing rates, and reducing greenhouse gases.
- Analyzed the economic benefits of Community Choice Energy, with San Jose as a case study. Not only is the 21st century energy model environmentally healthier, it is also an economic boon.
- Worked with allies around the state in 2016 to advance legislation supporting local energy and to defend Community Choice against threats like Assembly Bill 1110.
If you live in a community that has Community Choice, show up! Weigh in on rates, solar programs, electric vehicle programs, and ideas of your own. If you live in a community that does not have a program, start the conversation: write letters to the editor, share what you know, talk to your elected officials.
Check out cleanpowerexchange.org for more information and to learn how you can get involved with Community Choice Energy.