The below sample letter can be used as a template for an email to your mayor to encourage them to endorse the Climate-Safe California campaign.
Sample letter to your mayor
Dear Mayor ____________,
I am writing to ask that the ____________ City Council formally endorse Climate-Safe California, a bold plan for transformative policies and actions at the State level. Part of this plan is to support local governments with the tools needed to achieve their local climate goals, for example, enabling legislation and funding.
Jurisdictions that have already endorsed Climate-Safe CA include the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Agency, the City of Petaluma, the City of Sebastopol, and the Town of Windsor.
The goal of Climate-Safe California is for the state to achieve net-negative greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, meaning that the drawdown of climate pollution through nature-based solutions exceeds the amount of pollution the state emits. To achieve this goal, Climate-Safe California calls for:
- Accelerating the phase-out of fossil fuel development, production and use
- Scaling-up nature-based sequestration on natural and working lands
- Investing in community resilience, including clean energy microgrids and storage
- Funding climate action and leveraging private sector money
To take action:
- Sample resolution here
- Sample staff report here
- Online endorsement form here
- Template of letter to send to Gov. Newsom, state Assembly and Senate representatives here
More information about Climate-Safe California:
- Short slide presentation here
- Endorsement Platform here
- List of organizational endorsements here.
- List of government representative endorsements here
- List of 1,200+ endorsements to date here
All ten jurisdictions in Sonoma County, California have acknowledged the global climate emergency by unanimously passing Climate Emergency Resolutions. Five of those jurisdictions — including the Board of Supervisors — have set a target date of 2030 for carbon neutrality. The Board of the County’s Regional Climate Protection Authority (RCPA) has approved a Climate Mobilization Strategy that sets a target of carbon neutrality by 2030.
In doing so, we are not alone: To date, 18 nations including Argentina, Bangladesh, the European Union, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, and major cities across the United States, including Albuquerque, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Minneapolis, San Diego, and San Francisco have formally declared a climate emergency. [Source]
Addressing the climate crisis calls for bold, transformative policies and actions at all levels of government: local, regional, state, national, and international.
I thank you for your commitment to addressing the climate emergency and ensuring a livable future for the children and grandchildren of all species for all time.
(Your name and contact information)