This summit gave an overview of what the state is doing for clean energy resilience and what new policies are needed to provide access to clean and reliable power for all.
Janea Scott, California Energy Commission; Genevieve Shiroma, California Public Utilities Commission; Carmen Ramirez, Mayor Pro Tem of Oxnard; Ellie Cohen, The Climate Center and others spoke about policies to support climate justice and community energy resilience in lower-income communities who suffer disproportionately from pollution and power outages.
Mari Rose Taruc, Reclaim Our Power Utility Justice Campaign; Gabriela Orantes, North Bay Organizing Project; and Nayamin Martinez, Central California Environmental Justice Network discussed the issues of equitable access from an Environmental Justice perspective.
Jennifer Kropke, Workforce and Environmental Engagement for International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union 11 and Vivian Price, researcher for the Labor Network for Sustainability and professor at CSU Dominguez Hills (specializing in labor and climate change) discussed a just transition from the perspective of Labor.
Carolyn Glanton, Sonoma Clean Power; Sage Lang, Monterey Bay Community Power; Stephanie Chen, Senior Policy Counsel, MCE, and JP Ross, East Bay Community Energy discussed the work that Community Choice Agencies are doing to bring more energy resilience to lower-income communities.
Equitable Resilience Keynote
Policy Update Panel
- Moderator: Janea Scott, Vice-Chair (pdf), California Energy Commission
- Commissioner Genevieve Shiroma (pdf), California Public Utilities Commission
- Eric Lamoureux (pdf), Cal Office of Emergency Services
- CA Legislature, Senator Henry Stern via video
- Resilient Labor- What is a “just transition?” How do we get there?
Resilient Labor- What is a “just transition?” How do we get there?
- Moderator: Mark Kyle, labor, political, election, and campaign finance attorney on behalf of labor unions, nonprofits, and individuals
- Jennifer Kropke, IBEW, National Electrical Contractors Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Vivian Price, Labor Network for Sustainability
- Environmental Justice – energy systems and policies that serve frontline communities
Environmental Justice – energy systems and policies that serve frontline communities
- Moderator: Janina Turner, Sunrise Movement, The Climate Center
- Mari Rose Taruc (pdf), Reclaim Our Power
- Gabriela Orantes, North Bay Organizing Project
- Nayamin Martinez (pdf), Central California Environmental Justice Network