Below are communities with commitments to accelerated climate action timelines:
- Fairfax, CA has now committed to zero emissions by 2030: http://www.climatefx.org/mission-statement.html – but their CAP is still being updated.
- Takoma Park, MD has a very aggressive goal, in keeping with Montgomery County’s goals – 80% reduction in GHG emissions by 2027 and 100% reduction by 2035.
Catalog of Sustainability actions – great outreach document: https://documents.takomaparkmd.gov/government/sustainability/Sustainability%20Catalog.pdf
- Santa Monica, CA: commits to achieving an 80% reduction in emissions below 1990 levels by 2030; they don’t seem to have a firm date for carbon neutrality – just before 2050
Climate Action Plan: https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/Departments/OSE/Climate/CAAP_SantaMonica.PDF
- Petaluma, CA has a Climate Emergency Framework recommending that the city achieve carbon neutrality by 2030
Website with Emergency Framework and list of action items: https://cityofpetaluma.org/climate-action-commission/
- Menlo Park, CA: https://www.menlopark.org/305/Climate-Action-Plan working toward Zero Carbon by 2030
- San Luis Obispo, CA: https://www.slocity.org/government/department-directory/city-administration/office-of-sustainability/climate-action/climate-action-plan-1949
The plan establishes a community-wide goal of carbon neutrality by 2035, adopts sector-specific goals, and provides foundational actions to establish a trajectory towards achieving those goals.
- Marin County, CA: https://www.marincounty.org/-/media/files/departments/cd/planning/sustainability/climate-and-adaptation/cap-2030_12082020final.pdf?la=en The County’s plan has these targets – see Table 4:
- 2030 Mitigation Only Target – 40% below 1990 level
- 2030 Mitigation + Sequestration Target – 60% below 2005 level
- 2045 Target – Carbon Neutral 2030
We invite you to share additional cities and jurisdictions who have committed to accelerated climate action by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.