Updated February 2021
Community Choice Energy (formally known as Community Choice Aggregation (CCA)) has proven to be one of the most powerful ways to accelerate the transition from dirty fossil fuels to clean energy sources. The Climate Center has worked since 2005 to establish CCAs throughout California. We continue to focus proactively on establishing Community Choice in the Central Valley, where the environmental, social, and economic impacts of a fossil fuel use are most acute.
CCAs are local, not-for-profit, public agencies that provide electricity service – and much more – to residents and businesses. Given that they are local, with decision-making meetings open to the public, CCAs enhance energy democracy by including the communities they serve in decision-making and by generally being more accessible and accountable to the local community.
Community Choice introduces competition and consumer choice into the electricity sector with a focus on local, renewable energy to stimulate rapid innovations in clean energy systems. As not-for-profit agencies, CCAs are not beholden to multi-million dollar CEO salaries or shareholder returns, but rather to stable, competitive pricing for consumers and increasingly resilient, clean, and local energy systems. According to CalCCA, to date, CCAs in California have contracted for over 3,800 Megawatts (MW) of clean generation capacity, and supported thousands of jobs.
Powerful Impacts for Community Choice:
- Celebrating eleven solid years of Community Choice service in 2021
- 23 operational CCAs in California as of early 2021
- Serving 11 million+ people in California
- Supporting thousands of jobs in California
- Hundreds of millions of dollars made available for reinvestment in local communities.
- 3,800+ megawatts of new renewable energy capacity
- Over 400 megawatt-hours of new energy storage
- Dozens of new innovative programs for customers
- 940,000+ metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions avoided per year.
New California resources serving Community Choice customers
Image from CalCCA