Director of Philanthropy
Are you a dynamic, accomplished fundraiser and relationship-builder wanting to make a difference on climate change? We are looking for a smart, collaborative, enthusiastic, and experienced development professional to lead our Climate-Safe California campaign fundraising efforts and enact the bold policies required by science to reverse the climate crisis.
The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for creating and implementing a strategic and robust fundraising program in coordination with senior staff and members of the Board. The Director of Philanthropy is charged with a dramatic ramp-up in resource development to drive the organization’s urgent Climate-Safe California goals.
The Director of Philanthropy reports directly to the CEO. The position works closely with senior staff and the Board to design and implement fundraising programs to support the organization’s strategic goals. The Director of Philanthropy manages volunteers and does not manage additional staff at this time.
- In close collaboration with the CEO, management team, other staff, and the Board, establish fundraising goals and objectives in support of The Climate Center’s overarching Climate-Safe California objectives.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of fifty or more individual leadership giving donors and prospects; facilitate relationship management for CEO, other lead staff, and board members.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of twenty major environmental foundation funders with the goal of being invited to submit proposals; serve as lead relationship manager with some and facilitate relationship management for CEO, other lead staff, and board members with others.
- Manage full grant proposal process including identification, writing/soliciting tracking, reporting, and follow up.
- Develop and execute a strategic fundraising plan to identify, research, and target institutional funders to raise programmatic, operating, and sponsorship support;
- Partner with program staff and senior executives to identify new funding opportunities and to match program strategies with potential funders.
- Contribute to written and social media communications and marketing working with communications staff, CEO, and other lead staff.
- Work with program and finance staff to ensure compliance with all grant restrictions and reporting requirements, and to gather information necessary for grant reports.
- Additional responsibilities as determined in partnership with the CEO.
- Seven plus years of progressively challenging development experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree and/or advanced fundraising certification preferred
- Passion for and commitment to climate action
- Ability to create and implement a strategic fundraising plan to support the strategic vision
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated success soliciting climate and/or environmental grants
- Demonstrated success cultivating individual and foundation donor relationships
- Demonstrated experience successfully personally soliciting five- and six-figure gifts from individuals
- Strong ability to manage and communicate financial information, including the ability to create and/or evaluate grant budgets, and develop, monitor and deliver key performance indicators
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) technology, preferably SALSA
- Ability to translate and articulate in writing and verbally the mission and strategic campaign goals of the organization to various populations including individual donors, friends, funders, general public, and other constituents
- Experience adhering to fundraising best practices
- Knowledge of and experience working in the climate or environmental sector
- High level of strategy and diplomacy required
- Works well under pressure and has a good sense of humor
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
The Climate Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.