With over 4 million acres burned by wildfires last year and a cost of $80 billion for the 2019 fires season alone, as well as 1200 premature deaths from wildfire smoke, local governments must work for bolder climate policy from the state.
Bold climate policies also have the potential to generate hundreds of thousands of new jobs. One study shows that $80 billion invested in climate measures in California would generate 727,000 new jobs.
Inaction is significantly more costly than action.
Local governments and their representatives can lead:
- Endorse Climate-Safe California as a local government leader
- Sample email to contact your mayor about endorsing Climate-Safe California
- Use our sample resolution to draft a resolution for your own local jurisdiction
- Example staff report
- Template of letter for local governments to send to Gov. Newsom, State Senators, and State Assemblymembers re their endorsement (Word doc)
- Urge your state policymakers to align their climate actions with the science and climate reality we face
- Write a Letter to the Editor. See Talking Points here and a sample of an already published letter here.
- Publish an op-ed in your local or regional newspaper (see example here).
- See our Climate-Safe California presentation (Feb 2021, pdf)