10 years sooner
Our work influenced Governor Newsom to pursue moving California’s climate targets up a full decade to 2035.
We convened a microgrid equity coalition and secured $200 million to build microgrids in frontline, lower-income communities.
We catalyzed the first bill in California history with a net-negative emissions target, changing the conversation in Sacramento.
11 million people
Community Choice Energy now serves 11 million Californians 80-90% greenhouse-gas-free power.
What makes us unique?
- A track record of reducing greenhouse gas emissions: The Climate Center played a key role in the tremendous growth of Community Choice Agencies (CCAs) in the state over the past 6 years, with 24 CCAs now providing on average 81% greenhouse gas-free electricity to over 11 million residents in more than 200 cities/counties.
- A well-developed theory of change (strategy) that describes the optimum way to deliver rapid greenhouse gas reductions at scale.
- We believe that to achieve a positive, vibrant future for ourselves, our children and all life, we must build an unprecedented cross-sectoral coalition of climate advocates who demand accelerated, equitable climate policies that unleash market forces and make climate-friendly choices easier for everyone. California, as the world’s fifth-largest economy, must step up its climate leadership to catalyze action by other states, nations, and the world for a climate-safe Earth.
- The bold, comprehensive Climate-Safe California campaign that describes how California can respond with urgency to the climate crisis, meaning much more accelerated goals and action for greenhouse gas reductions. This is the primary focus of our work.
- The climate crisis is here now, worse than anticipated, and accelerating, threatening all life, from humans to wildlife. With 9 of 15 global tipping points activated, what we do today can either unleash an inhospitable hothouse Earth or secure a safe climate. Per the latest science, massive reductions of warming emissions with the beginning of drawdown from the atmosphere are required by 2030 to prevent catastrophic impacts. Our only hope is to enact bold, equitable policies now, not decades later. Climate-Safe California is an urgent, powerful solution to ensure that California, the world’s 5th largest economy, steps up its leadership, enacts accelerated climate policy timelines and catalyzes other states, our nation, and other countries to action.
- Laser-focused on equitable speed and scale GHG reductions
- Science-driven programs and policies
- Anti-racist and inclusive
- Comprehensive, creative, and innovative
- Respectful of differences
- Everything in partnership
- Shared responsibility for our work, our planet, and our future