https://theclimatecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Sebastian-Kurz-the-leader-of-the-conservative-Austrian-Peoples-Party-ÖVP.jpg 1199 1592 Guest Blogger https://theclimatecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/The-Climate-Center-Logo_RGB.gif Guest Blogger2020-01-03 11:48:522020-01-13 13:13:50Austria's new government sets goal to be carbon neutral by 2040
by Deutsche Welle, EcoWatch
Although the Greens managed to secure major policies to combat climate change, Kurz also pushed through his hardline immigration policies — which might not sit well with Greens supporters.
What’s in the coalition deal?
- The Greens will head four ministries, including taking on the environment and justice portfolios.
- Kurz’s party will hold onto the rest of the ministries, including the interior, defense and finance ministries.
- Austria will seek to be carbon neutral by 2040, and put a price on CO2 emissions.
- By 2030, all of Austria’s electricity is to be produced by renewable energy sources.
- Flying will become more expensive in a bid to make taking the train more attractive.